February 12, 2007
Asian soybean rust to be discussed at southwest Indiana crop clinicWEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Planting corn on corn and Asian soybean rust are just a couple of the topics to be discussed on Feb. 20 during the southwest Indiana crop clinic at the Dubois County 4-H Fairgrounds.
"The clinic is designed to help participants plan for future cropping decisions given the uncertainty of energy markets and grain prices at this time," said Jim Peter, Purdue University Extension educator in Dubois County. "It also gives participants a chance to ask Purdue specialists questions and get answers specific to the problems or challenges they face."
The clinic is free, and reservations are due by Feb. 15. To reserve a space, call the Purdue Extension Office in Dubois County at (812) 482-1782. Materials, refreshments and lunch will be provided. Pesticide Applicator Recertification Program credits are available. In order to receive credit, participants must bring their pesticide card and pay $10.
The crop clinic will begin with registration at 8 a.m. CST and will conclude at 2 p.m. The complete schedule is as follows:
* 8 a.m. - Registration. Coffee and donuts will be provided.
* 8:30 a.m. - Chris Hurt, a Purdue agricultural economics specialist, will give an economic outlook covering prices, demand and energy concerns.
* 9:30 a.m. - Shawn Conley, a Purdue agronomy specialist, will discuss soybean management practices in the face of Asian soybean rust.
* 10:30 a.m. - Greg Shaner, a Purdue botany and plant pathology specialist, and Dave Smith, a graduate research assistant in botany and plant pathology, will focus on expectations of Asian soybean rust, identification, spray decisions and disease management, as well as plant health and the effects of fungicide applications.
* 11:30 a.m. - Lunch will be provided.
* 12:30 p.m. - Bob Nielson, a Purdue agronomy specialist, will cover the perils and pitfalls of planting corn after corn.
* 1:30 p.m. - Jim Peter, a Purdue Extension specialist, will talk about protecting the water supply on the farm.
For questions or more information, contact Peter at (812) 482-1782. The Dubois County 4-H Fairground is located six miles south of Jasper on Indiana 162 near Bretzville.
Writer: Julie Douglas, (765) 496-1050, email@example.com
Source: Jim Peter, (812) 482-1782, firstname.lastname@example.org
To the News Service home page