April 2, 2007
Department of computer science and statistics celebrate outstanding alumniWEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Purdue University's computer science and statistics departments and the actuarial science program in the College of Science honored seven outstanding alumni during a breakfast reception on Friday (March 30) in the East and West faculty lounges of the Purdue Memorial Union.
The alumni honored for their contributions and leadership within their professions include:
* Charles Bryan of Columbus, Ohio, who is founder and president of CAB Consulting and sits on the boards of Medical Mutual of Ohio, Safe Auto and Tower Insurance Group. Bryan is a member of the National Association of Corporate Directors. He earned his bachelor's degree in mathematics from John Carroll University, his master's degree in mathematics from Purdue in 1969 and his master's of business administration from Golden Gate University.
* Bill Chen of Houston, who is founder of New Era Life Insurance Co. and has worked as an actuary and in executive positions in the insurance industry for 35 years. New Era has been in the Houston 100 list of the city's fastest-growing companies for four consecutive years. Chen was recognized in Who's Who in America in 1996, Who's Who in Finance and Industry in 1992 and in 1994 was awarded regional entrepreneur of the year, sponsored by Ernst and Young, Merrill Lynch and Inc. Magazine. Chen earned his master's degree and doctorate in statistics from Purdue in 1967 and 1970, respectively.
* Dipak Kumar Dey of Storrs, Conn., who is head of the Department of Statistics at the University of Connecticut. Dey received research excellence awards in 2004 and 2005. He is a fellow of the American Statistical Association and the Institute of Mathematical Statistics and served as president of the International Indian Statistical Association. He earned bachelor's and master's degrees from the Indian Statistical Institute and his master's degree and doctorate in statistics from Purdue in 1977 and 1980, respectively.
* Eric Dittert of Portland, who is a staff member in the software and solutions group at Intel Corp. Dittert also has served in the emerging platforms laboratory of the corporate technology group at Intel. Prior to joining Intel, he was a faculty member in New Mexico State University's Department of Computer Science. Dittert earned his master's degree in computer science from Purdue in 1978 and his doctorate in 1982. He earned his bachelor's degree in mathematics from Arizona State University.
* Alan Hevner of Tampa, Fla., and currently residing in Arlington, Va., who is a scholar and professor in the Department of Information Systems and Decision Sciences at the University of South Florida. He also holds the Citigroup/Hidden River Chair of Distributed Technology. Hevner is currently on a two-year assignment at the National Science Foundation, serving as a program director in the computer and information science and engineering directorate. Hevner earned his bachelor's, master's and doctorate degrees in computer science from Purdue in 1973, 1976 and 1979, respectively.
* Gene Kim of Portland, who is co-founder of the IT Process Institute and founder of Tripwire Inc. In 1992 he co-authored Tripwire with Eugene Spafford while at Purdue. In 2004 Kim wrote the Visible Ops Handbook. Kim serves on the advanced technology committee for the Institute of Internal Auditors and has been honored as one of the "Top 4 CTOs to Watch" by InfoWorld magazine. Kim earned his bachelor's degree in computer science from Purdue in 1993 and his master's degree in computer science from the University of Arizona.* Daniel Wolak of Trumbull, Conn., who is senior vice president of the group reinsurance division for General Re Life Corp. Wolak has served as chairperson for the Society of Actuaries Health Section Council. Prior to joining General Re Life Corp., he served as vice president and group actuary for American United Life Insurance Co. in Indianapolis. Wolak earned his bachelor's and master's degrees in statistics from Purdue in 1975 and 1977, respectively.
Writer: Elizabeth Gardner, (765) 494-2081, email@example.com
Sources: Tony Vidmar, director of development for the departments of computer science and physics, (765) 494-0669, firstname.lastname@example.org
Bente Fein, director of development for biological sciences and statistics, (765) 496-7502, email@example.com
Purdue News Service: (765) 494-2096; firstname.lastname@example.org
Note to Journalists: Complete recipient biographies and publication-quality photographs are available online at https://www.cs.purdue.edu/ and https://www.stat.purdue.edu/people/alums/outstanding_alumni/
To the News Service home page