April 15, 2007
Faculty, staff honored at Purdue Honors ConvocationsWEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Purdue faculty and staff received several special honors Sunday (April 15) during the university's Honor Convocation in Elliott Hall of Music.
Each of Purdue's academic areas presented an award for excellence in teaching, and there were five additional honors for special academic endeavors.
Award winners were:
* College of Agriculture - Christine Wilson, assistant professor of agricultural economics, Richard L. Kohls Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award.
* College of Consumer and Family Sciences - Sheryl F. Kline, associate professor of hospitality and tourism managements, Mary L. Matthews Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching.
* College of Education - Brian F. French, associate professor of educational psychology and research methodology, Outstanding Teacher Award.
* College of Engineering - William A. Crossley, associate professor of aeronautics and astronautics, A.A. Potter Best of Engineering Teaching Award.
* School of Health Sciences - Keith M. Stantz, assistant professor of health sciences, Robert R. Landolt Award for Excellence in Teaching.
* College of Liberal Arts - Marianne J. Boruch, professor of English, Excellence in Education Award.
* School of Management - Padmapriya Rajagopalan, continuous term lecturer, Outstanding Undergraduate Teacher Award.
* School of Nursing - Donna M. Moore, visiting assistant professor of nursing, LaNelle E. Geddes Excellence in Teaching Award.
* School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences - Eric L. Barker, associate professor of medicinal chemistry and molecular pharmacology, Dr. Aziz Outstanding Teaching Award.
* School of Science - Jeffrey A. Beckley, continuing lecturer for mathematics and continuing lecturer for statistics, Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award.
* College of Technology - Larry W. Gross, associate professor of aviation technology, James G. Dwyer Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching.
* School of Veterinary Medicine - Kevin M. Hannon, associate professor of developmental anatomy, Alumni Outstanding Teaching Award.
In addition to receiving commemorative plaques, recipients received cash awards from their school or college.
* The Herbert Newby McCoy Award - Joseph S. Francisco, the William E. Moore Distinguished Professor of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences and Chemistry. The award, which consists of $4,000 for Francisco and an additional $7,000 toward his research, has been given annually since 1964 to a student or faculty member at Purdue for their contributions to science. Francisco is being honored for his scientific contributions on determining the atmospheric fate of chlorofluorocarbons and their alternatives.
* Provost's Award for Outstanding Faculty Mentors ? Stephen G. Green, the Basil Sydney Turner Professor of Management; Richard D. Mattes, professor of foods and nutrition. They received a $2,500 award.
* Helen B. Schleman Gold Medallion Award - Nancy A. Bulger, assistant provost. The award, which consists of a medallion and $1,500, honors significant contributions by a staff or faculty member to the education and well-being of women students at Purdue.
* Class of 1922 Helping Students Learn Award - Gabriela C. Weaver, associate professor of chemistry and director of the Center for Authentic Science Practice in Education. The award includes a $4,000 cash prize and a $2,000 academic expense account to the department.
* Award for Excellence in Distance Learning: Best Credit-Granting Program - Alan J. Zillich, assistant professor of pharmacy practice. For "CLPH 490Y - Tobacco Dependence and Treatment for Healthcare." The award includes $1,000.
The Award for Excellence in Distance Learning: Best Noncredit Program was not awarded this year.The awards for Excellence in Distance Learning recognize professional accomplishment and innovative approaches to "teaching-at-a-distance." They spotlight initiatives in distance learning that are under way throughout the Purdue system.
Contact: Christy Jones, (765) 494-1089, email@example.com
Source: Jim Vruggink, director of special projects, (765) 494-2086, firstname.lastname@example.org
Purdue News Service: (765) 494-2096; email@example.com
To the News Service home page