April 30, 2007
Purdue graduates to take part in commencement ceremoniesWEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Purdue University will award degrees at five campuses and seven College of Technology locations throughout Indiana during commencement ceremonies.
Commencement at the West Lafayette campus is scheduled for May 11-13 at Elliott Hall of Music. An estimated 5,677 degrees will be presented in four ceremonies that weekend, including 4,295 undergraduate degrees, 223 professional degrees, 803 master's degrees and 356 doctoral degrees.
University President Martin C. Jischke will address graduates at each ceremony. The ceremonies will feature two large video screens above the Elliott Hall stage. The screens will display a close-up image of each graduate receiving his or her diploma.
Each graduation candidate is guaranteed four tickets to the commencement. Candidates can request up to two additional tickets, however, extra tickets are not guaranteed. Doors open to guests 90 minutes prior to the ceremony.
The ceremonies for the West Lafayette campus are:
* May 11. 8 p.m. School of Management and College of Technology. A class response will be provided by Andrea M. Russell of Indianapolis, a graduate of the College of Technology.
* May 12. 9:30 a.m. College of Engineering, College of Education and School of Veterinary Medicine. A class response will be provided by Amy Penner of Fowler, Ind., a graduate of the College of Engineering.
* May 12. 2:30 p.m. Colleges of Liberal Arts and Science. A class response will be provided by Henry Chou of Fishers, Ind., a graduate of the College of Science.
* May 13. 9:30 a.m. Colleges of Agriculture; Consumer and Family Sciences; and Pharmacy, Nursing and Health Sciences. A class response will be provided by Anne Marie Diener of Five Points, Calif., a graduate of the College of Agriculture.
Commencement videos for each school will be available. A DVD costs $30 and order forms are available at Stewart Center's Loeb Playhouse box office or by calling (765) 494-3933. Order forms can be submitted both before and after each commencement ceremony.
Once the seating capacity has been exhausted in Elliott Hall of Music, seats in Loeb Playhouse will be available, where there will be a live broadcast feed of the ceremony.
Commencement times and locations at other Purdue campuses are:
* Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne. 7 p.m. May 9 at the Memorial Coliseum and Exposition Center, where 446 Purdue degrees will be conferred.
* Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. 2:30 p.m. May 13 at the Indiana Convention Center and RCA Dome, where 995 Purdue degrees will be conferred to graduates from the Indianapolis and Columbus campuses.
* Purdue Calumet. 1:30 p.m. May 20 at the Star Plaza Theatre in Merrillville, where 685 Purdue degrees will be conferred.
* Purdue North Central. 7:30 p.m. May 14 at the Athletics - Recreation Center at Valparaiso University, where 594 degrees will be conferred.
College of Technology commencements at locations around the state are:
• Anderson/Muncie. 2 p.m. May 12 at the Flagship Enterprise Center in Anderson, where 18 degrees will be conferred.
• Columbus/Southeast Indiana. 6 p.m. May 8 at Columbus Learning Center, where 26 degrees will be conferred.
• Kokomo. 6 p.m. May 9 at Havens Auditorium, where 25 degrees will be conferred.
• Lafayette. 2 p.m. May 5 in Stewart Center, where 60 degrees will be conferred.
• New Albany. 6 p.m. May 10 at the Ogle Center's Stem Room, where 20 degrees will be conferred.
• Richmond. 6 p.m. May 11 at Richmond High School, where 23 degrees will be conferred.
• South Bend/Elkhart. 6:30 p.m. May 7 at Riverside Terrace in Mishawaka, where 24 degrees will be conferred.
Writers: Jim Bush, (765) 494-2077, email@example.com
Christy Jones, (765) 494-1089, firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Christine L. DeHahn, assistant registrar, (765) 494-6163, email@example.com
Purdue News Service: (765) 494-2096; firstname.lastname@example.org
Note to Journalists: Journalists who want to cover the May 11-13 commencement ceremonies on Purdue's West Lafayette campus need tickets and must reserve space for camera equipment. Arrangements can be made by contacting Jim Bush, Purdue News Service, at (765) 494-2077, email@example.com; or Mike Willis, Purdue News Service, (765) 494-0371, firstname.lastname@example.org.
To the News Service home page