June 4, 2007
Shower malfunction causes flood damage in Matthews HallWEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - A computer lab and business offices in Purdue University's Matthews Hall were damaged Saturday (June 2) after an emergency shower unit malfunctioned.
The damage to the building and equipment will probably be at least $100,000, said Thomas Adams, insurance loss manager.
The problem was reported to the Purdue Fire Department around 5:30 a.m. Emergency personnel arrived to find the third-floor shower unit running for an unknown reason, causing damage to that room and to rooms on both the second and first floor below it.
The fire department used plastic sheeting to cover equipment in the College of Consumer and Family Sciences offices and the computer lab, which helped control the damage, Adams said. The malfunctioning shower unit also was repaired.
Cleanup is under way.
Writer: Christy Jones, (765) 494-1089, firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Thomas Adams, (765) 496-7922, email@example.com
Purdue News Service: (765) 494-2096; firstname.lastname@example.org
To the News Service home page