September 14, 2007
Organic poultry production featured in video seriesWEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - The Tri-State Organic IP video series continues Sept. 20 with a video on organic poultry production.
As organic poultry production expands in Indiana, Purdue University and two other land-grant universities have teamed to develop a video training session emphasizing organic poultry production techniques and practices.
"Organic egg production is one of the fastest growing businesses in the marketplace," said Mickey Latour, Purdue extension poultry specialist. "The topic will be beneficial in helping producers maximize income dollars."
Certified agricultural consultant Ib Hagsten will discuss what it takes to be an organic producer. Latour and Ken Koelkebeck, a University of Illinois Extension poultry specialist, also will speak on topics such as husbandry, nutrition, disease and biosecurity, and poultry processing.
"We hope participants will come away from the session with a few key points," Latour said. "We want them to understand what it takes to become organic and also to be aware of resources for good poultry management practices."
The organic poultry production video will benefit both new and experienced poultry producers and will take place from 6-8:30 p.m. EST.
Nineteen Indiana sites will show the broadcast:
* Aurora – Purdue Extension Office, Dearborn County
* Bloomington – Purdue Extension Office, Monroe County
* Brazil – Purdue Extension Office, Clay County
* Butlerville – Southeast Purdue Ag Center
* Corydon – Purdue Extension Office, Harrison County
* Danville – Purdue Extension Office, Hendricks County
* Evansville – Purdue Extension Office, Vanderburgh County
* Greenfield – Purdue Extension Office, Hancock County
* Greensburg – Purdue Extension Office, Decatur County
* LaGrange – Purdue Extension Office, LaGrange County
* New Castle – Purdue Extension Office, Henry County
* Paoli – Orange County Learning Center
* Plymouth – Purdue Extension Office, Marshall County
* Rockport – Purdue Extension Office, Spencer County
* Scottsburg – Purdue Extension Office, Scott County
* Vincennes – Southwest Purdue Agricultural Center
* Wanatah – Pinney Purdue Agricultural Center
* West Lafayette – Purdue campus, Pfendler Hall, Room 241
* Winamac – Purdue Extension Office, Pulaski County
Registration is $10 per person and includes workshop materials and refreshments. To register, contact Lynn Stocksick at (800) 359-2968. Online registration is available through the Purdue Conference Division at http://www.conf.purdue.edu/VIDEO
Writer: Hannah Brescher, (765) 494-8402, email@example.com
Source: Mickey Latour, (765) 494-8011, firstname.lastname@example.org
To the News Service home page